Okay…there are still apples in my fridge. Lots and lots of apples.
You know what that means: another apple cake, this time with some dried cranberries and walnuts for good measure. This recipe is essentially the same one I used for my last apple cake, only without the brown sugar topping. You can add the topping if you’d like, but I really don’t think this cake needs it.
I’ll stop making apple cakes (at least for a little while) until my supply is depleted. Till then, please bear with me.
Apple Cranberry Walnut Coffee Cake
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup apples, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup raisins (not really necessary, but I wanted to use some up)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8×8 baking pan and set aside.
- To make the cake, in a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg until well-combined
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the sour cream and vanilla.
- Stir in the apples, dried cranberries, walnuts, and raisins (if you’re using them).
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in its pan completely before serving.